25 Best Luggage Accessories Every Traveler Needs
Looking for the best luggage accessories for your next great adventure? Well, you're at the right place! We happen to know the finest suitcase accessories that turn the dullest of trips into the most amazing ones. That being said, we curated a list of the best products for your suitcase to keep it super organized for every trip. We also shared some tips in choosing the best suitcase for travel. The juicy deets are waiting for you; read on!
Suitcase 101: Choosing the Perfect Travel Suitcase
One important thing that all travelers must keep into mind is that having the right luggage can make or break your trip. Despite having different needs when it comes to travel luggage, it all boils down to three things: personal preference, frequency of travel, and budget. Here are some tips worth remembering when choosing your next suitcase for travel.
✔️ Know your airline's size restrictions and weight limit.
Every airline has their own luggage size and weight restriction. It’s always best to know your airline’s policies on suitcases so you won’t be surprised with unexpected baggage fees when you reach the airport. If you must know, the standard size for checked bags is usually 27" x 21" x 14" while for carry-on luggage is usually 22"x 14"x 9". There's no exact universally accepted size but most airlines share these same sizes. However, it's still best to check your airline's site to be sure.
✔️ Consider how often you travel.
The frequency of the trips you take, perhaps in a year, actually plays a crucial role when choosing your suitcase. If you’re a frequent flyer, you obviously need a suitcase that’s more durable, long-lasting, and high quality. If you’re someone who travels only a few times a year, perhaps only during the holidays, we’re not implying you should go for the cheapest options. We actually recommend investing in a suitcase that’s also sturdy and lasting, but perhaps not as pricey as those who travel for a living. Just make sure it’s durable enough so you won’t have to buy a new one every time you travel.
✔️ Hardshell or soft shell?
That is the question! Let us sum it all up for you: Softside suitcases don’t crack or break easily especially when miscarried by baggage handlers. You can fit more items in them because they're flexible and expandable. They also have extra pockets where you can place the items you'd like to access in a snap.
Hardside suitcases, on the other hand, are more lightweight and durable. These are usually made with polycarbonate so they're unscratchable and sure to protect your items inside.
The bottom line? Softshell suitcases are usually preferred as checked bags while hard shell suitcases for carry-on. But all in all, it’s all up to you! Whatever it is that you find more comfortable to pack your travel essentials in and carry around for travel, go for it. You do you!
✔️ Convenience and Additional Features
The best travel luggage should be something that's very convenient to use. This means a bag that has a lot of useful features like waterproof pockets, more compartments, and such. There are even suitcases these days dubbed as smart luggage because they come with built-in battery packs which allows you to charge your devices and a port for headphones so you can charge and listen to music on-the-go.
✔️ Secure your suitcase
One must not ignore the security and safety aspect of suitcases when looking to buy one. After all, what they do is protect the travel essentials you have inside. Look for bags with intricate security features such as an internal or external locking system that's TSA-approved so you won't have trouble getting through security checks.
✔️ Choose a durable material
Before locking in on any suitcases, check every feature to make sure it’s durable and made to last. Check the material used in the wheels, handle, covering, pockets, zippers, everything! The best material for hard side luggage would be polycarbonate due to its high degree of hardness and resistance to impact. The most durable for soft shell suitcases, on the other hand, would be one that's made from ballistic nylon, making it resistant from water, wearing, dirt, and abrasions. Also, make sure that the handle is made from aircraft-grade aluminum.
✔️ Let your suitcase (or cover) stand out
Choose a one-of-a-kind suitcase not just for the ‘gram but to keep you from grabbing the wrong bag. Luggage covers with bright colors and playful patterns are great alternatives.
Must-Have Travel Luggage Accessories
Maximize the efficiency of your luggage for storing and keeping your travel items safe. Use these space-saving, leak-and-spill-protecting suitcase accessories. From the suitcase organizers that help pack your essentials, to hooks and straps that help your suitcase stand in place, we’ve got it all listed for you right here.
1. Clear Packing Cubes - A true game changer for travel. If you have trouble keeping your clothes and other travel essentials organized, packing cubes will be a real lifesaver for you. We recommend using the Starter Set for your carry-on luggage and the Complete Bundle for your checked bag. You can buy these clear cubes in different sizes and colors to organize and color-code your clothes, toiletries, medicine kit, and more! When you’re done folding and packing your essentials in the cubes, you can fit them all nicely in your suitcase, just like playing Tetris!
2. Travel Laundry Bag - If you don’t want your luggage to reek of dirty laundry, make sure you bring a travel laundry bag to separate your dirty clothes from your clean ones. The stench can stick to the insides of your suitcase and stink it up pretty badly, especially when your dirty laundry has been cooped up in your bag the entire time you’re in transit. This foldable laundry drawstring bag can be washed together with your soiled clothing items so you can reuse it for your next trip.
3. Travel Shoe Bag - Speaking in the same way as your dirty laundry, storing used and worn shoes in your suitcase without putting it in a travel shoe bag can also stink up your entire luggage. It’s best to prevent this from happening by packing your shoes in a shoe bag.
4. Travel Document Organizer - Keep your travel documents (passport, medical documents, etc.) protected and organized in a document holder bag. We love how this document bag is made of premium quality fiberglass coated with a thick layer of smooth silicone, making it fire- and waterproof, to keep your important documents safe in whatever circumstances. It also has a durable zippered opening covered by a Velcro flap closure for extra storage security and safety.
5. Tech / Cable Organizer - Don't let your cables get all tangled up in your bag when you can keep them perfectly organized in a travel cable organizer. You can store all your cables, earphones, pens, mouse, and other smaller tech items in this compact bag. If you'd like to have a more stylish bag, you can opt for these clear circular pouches that come in different chic colors.
6. TSA-Approved Luggage Locks - Some luggage have their own built-in locks but in case yours doesn't, make sure to secure it using one or two of these TSA-approved luggage locks. These durable and trusty bolts can be unlocked and relocked by TSA agents easily so they won't have to break the locks open.
Pro Tip: Never keep your valuables in checked luggage. Make sure your tablet, phone, laptop, camera, and other expensive items that you wouldn't want to lose are stored in your personal items or carry-on bag so you can keep an eye on them for the entire trip.
7. Luggage Tags - Aside from a trustworthy TSA-approved luggage lock to keep your suitcase safe, you will be needing luggage tags with your name, contact number, and other necessary information in it just in case you lose or accidentally leave it somewhere. This way, when your luggage is found, they’ll know exactly who to return it to and you’ll be reunited with your suitcase in no time.
8. Microfiber Towel - You can use a microfiber towel as a base in your suitcase if you want to keep it clean and good as new after every time you travel. Especially when you’re going to the beach or planning to have a swimming or surfing trip somewhere. This will help keep your luggage dry and prevent moisture from creating an unwanted smell inside your suitcase.
9. Vacuum Storage Bags - Overpackers, this one’s for you. Vacuum storage bags will help you maximize the space inside your luggage and use it to its full capacity. Although they won't make any difference to the weight, it sure does make a significant difference to the space you can utilize for all your travel essentials.
10. Shirt Trekker Shirt Case - If you’re going on a business trip and you need to pack some formal or long-sleeve dress shirts, keep them organized in this shirt case to prevent any wrinkles or creases from forming while you’re in transit. It's made of hard covering but still narrow and compact enough to be packed in your suitcase. You can fit in one or two of your delicate shirts in it for safekeeping. Make sure to leave the case open and let it air overnight before first use in order to vent out the neoprene smell.
11. Bag Bungee - The idea behind this bag bungee is that you can carry more bags with less effort. It will allow you to put your carry-on bag or personal items bag on top of your suitcase and lug them around with ease. It also helps secure a second bag or purse, your coat, or other travel items.
12. Digital Luggage Scale - After packing all your travel essentials in your suitcase, make sure to weigh it so that it meets your airline’s weight restrictions. A portable digital luggage scale is very convenient to use not only after packing before you leave but also for when you’re going back home when you’ve got a lot of souvenirs and gifts to take with you.
13. Inflatable Travel Wine Bag - If you're planning to bring a bottle of wine with you on your trip, know that you're not allowed to pack it in your carry-on bag. You have to store it in your checked luggage and use this wine bottle protector to keep it from getting broken or damaged inside your suitcase. This inflatable wine bottle container does not only guarantee to keep your bottle, glass, and other fragile items fully protected but it will also keep your other travel items in the suitcase safe from any possible leaks or spills, in case the bottle breaks.
14. TSA Approved Toiletry Bag - The best toiletry bag for your suitcase would be one that would keep any spills or leakage contained, should there be any. For your carry-on suitcase, this clear extra small cube will definitely do the job. It’s small, it’s clear, and it’s definitely cute so you’ve got everything covered for all the things you want for a travel-size toiletry bag. If you’re traveling with a checked suitcase, this large bag can fit all your full-size liquid bottles and other toilet essentials.
15. Travel Jewelry Organizer - Don’t let your tiny accessories and other trinkets get tangled or lost in your suitcase. Use a travel jewelry organizer to keep them all nice and tucked in for your flight. Make sure not to keep any expensive and valuable items in your checked bags, and try not to bring those really expensive ones that you’d be totally heartbroken to lose. Store them in your carry-on luggage instead so you'll have one less thing to worry about.
16. Underwear Organizer - This small clear cube is a really great storage for your undies, but if you want one that’s got different compartments, we recommend this travel underwear organizer. It has a total of 4 compartments that lets you organize everything from your socks, underwear, bras, and other smaller items of clothing. This will fit perfectly into your suitcase along with your packing cubes.
17. Extra Foldable Bag - You can easily fit this duffle bag into a tiny space in your suitcase since it folds really compactly. This serves as a backup bag just in case you'll need extra space to carry your gifts and souvenirs. Just don't go overboard on the shopping part so you won't have to deal with excess baggage later on.
18. Multi Bag Stacker - If you're traveling as a family and you've got lots of suitcases to carry around, this multi-bag stacker strap lets you attach different luggage pieces together. You can easily clump together different bags using this durable strap so that they don't get separated or lost.
19. Brightly Colored Luggage Strap - Have your peace of mind knowing that your suitcase is perfectly safe and secure while in transit with this luggage belt. This is very useful for those who are always worried about their suitcase zippers going to break, especially when their luggage is fully packed. The bright colors of these straps will also allow you to easily identify your luggage so nobody will mistake it for theirs.
20. Luggage Hook for Extra Bag - Remember that extra foldable duffle bag you brought for your gifts and souvenirs? Let's say you already have a suitcase, a carry-on bag, and a personal items bag, imagine having one more bag to carry and think, where else could you put this bag? This luggage strap with a hook will give you an extra hand! Just strap it on your luggage, hang your extra bag, make sure it's secure, and off you go!
21. Luggage Travel Cup Holder - Free your hands of your drinks so you can make better use of them while traveling with this luggage travel cup holder. Don't let your heavy luggage hold you back from enjoying a cup of coffee or a drink. Just wrap it around your luggage handle and store your phones, bottles, or coffee cups.
22. Luggage Shelf Organizer - This hanging packing cubes travel organizer takes the hassle out of unpacking and packing your clothes and other travel essentials in the suitcase. You can hang this organizer in any closet, over a door, or even on a shower curtain and store your clothes in them easily. Once you're done, just zip them closed and neatly pack them inside the suitcase. This is definitely great for travelers who don't want to waste precious time packing.
23. Luggage Hard Case Jacket - This suitcase accessory solves what is missing in your hardshell suitcase - easy-access pockets! Now, you have extra compartments to store all your inflight travel essentials such as your water bottle, chargers, passport, phone, plane tickets, and more! Just glide it under the suitcase, strap it close and secure, and you're good to go. If not in use, you can easily fold it in two and slip it in your personal items bag like it's nothing.
24. Luggage Cover - Choose a luggage cover that will make your suitcase stand out from the rest. Aside from preventing other people from claiming your luggage thinking it’s theirs, it will also keep you from doing the same to other traveler’s bags. Having a unique luggage cover will help you identify your bag easily. There are plenty of cool designs and patterns that you can choose from.
25. Luggage Handle Wraps - Aside from giving your palms the ultimate comfort when tugging your luggage around a new city, this handle wrap is also great for your bag's visibility. Just like a luggage cover, this will help you identify your bag very easily at the carousel.
These are all the useful luggage accessories that we have up our sleeves! See anything you like? Go on and try them out on your next trip! Don’t leave without grabbing at least one of these handy travel items! It’s our job to make traveling easier, more comfortable, and definitely less stressful! We got you.
Do you want to know how to pack your suitcase like a pro and perhaps try and use some of these luggage accessories just to see if they really work? Go ahead and check out our Complete Guide for Newbies.